Mosques Destroyed , Shops Burgled As Mob Attacks Nsukka Muslim Communities
The altercation is said to have started when a Muslim woman selling tomato took Keke Napep from a village market to her shop in the town and argument ensued between her and the driver over her transport fare.
The disagreement is reported to have generated to destruction and burning of properties belonging to Muslims in the area by the host communities that later deteriorated to burning of two mosques in the town.
Speaking to BBC Hausa on Monday, one of the leaders of northerners in the area, Muhammad Adam Yusuf said, “Most of us northerners are now in hiding in police custody, while many have already travelled to their states.
“Most shops belonging to our people including mine have been burgled and our wares carted away. Many have been wounded though none is reported dead so far.
“In fact, more than 90% of Hausas have emigrated, the few of us are now hiding in police custody,” Yusuf said.
The leader of Nsukka Muslim community, Alhaji Sani Ugwuanyi also told BBC Hausa that, “The two mosques, one for daily congregational prayers and the other one which is the central mosque here have both been destroyed.
“The entire structure of the first mosque has been completely destructed while the central mosque has been burnt down.
“There is also another Islamiyyah and Primary School that was also destructed,” he lamented.
When contacted, the state’s Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Daniel Ndukwe said the force was not aware of the attacks but promised to investigate it.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Islamic human rights group, Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), has condemned the attacks on Muslims in Igboland.
MURIC in a statement issued on Monday by its Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola called for a halt to the burning of mosques in the South East and South South.
The organization also appealed to the Inspector General of Police to protect Muslims as well as their corporate and individual properties in the region.
The statement said, “Two mosques were set ablaze by the Igbo in Enugu on Saturday, 31st October, 2020.
“The Islamic School, Afikpo, Ebonyi State has also received threats of impending invasion. It will be recalled that 11 (eleven) Muslims were killed during the #EndSARS protests in Port Harcourt and Orlu while the Orlu Central Mosque was completely destroyed barely two weeks ago.
“Markets belonging to Muslims in the region were also attacked and properties worth millions of naira were destroyed, including whole trailers with the goods.
MURIC also alleged that the only Islamic school in the whole Eastern Nigeria located in Afikpo, Ebonyi State, is under palpable and severe threat of attack.
“The school management has received about three threat messages in the past one week alone. Attack on the school is imminent and the state government has not uttered a word.”
The Muslim rights group also remind the governors of Eastern and South-South states as the chief security officers in their respective states of their responsibility to protect all citizens under them.
Daily Trust reports that the Muslim community in the region who are mostly northerners alleged that more than 40 of them have been killed and property worth billions of naira have been lost including burning of over 30 trucks and 12 other vehicles in the aftermath of #EndSARS protest in various parts of South-South and South-Eastern Nigeria.